If you’re experiencing a broken pipe and water damage, taking immediate action to minimize the damage is essential. Here are some steps you can take:
Broken Pipe Water Damage First Steps
If you’ve suffered from a broken pipe leading to water damage, don’t panic – there are certain steps you can take to effectively mitigate the damage.
- First, locate the valve and shut off the source of water, or turn off your home’s main water supply if the situation is particularly severe.
- Then, use a wet/dry vacuum or mop and bucket to remove standing water. Protective clothing – such as rubber gloves and boots – should be worn to avoid contact with any contaminated water.
- Afterward, use fans and a dehumidifier to dry out the affected area.
- If sewage is involved, wear a respirator mask to prevent inhaling bacteria.
- Calling a professional restoration company should be next on your list
- Also, taking pictures and documenting the damage for insurance purposes would be a smart idea. Keep records of all your damage for future claims purposes.
By following these steps, you can successfully fend off the devastation of a broken pipe.
Water Damage due to a broken pipe can be catastrophic to your home or business. But not to fear, if you run into an emergency, Flood 24 Seven is here to help!