If you’re experiencing a broken pipe and water damage, taking immediate action to minimize the damage is essential. Here are some steps you can take:
Broken Pipe Water Damage First Steps
- Locate the shut-off valve for the damaged pipe and turn it off to stop the water flow.
- If the water is severe, turning off the main water supply to your home may be necessary to stop the water flow.
- Remove standing water as quickly as possible, using a wet/dry vacuum or mop and bucket. Be sure to wear protective clothing, including rubber boots and gloves, to avoid coming into contact with contaminated water.
- Use fans and a dehumidifier to help dry out the affected area.
- If a sewage backup caused the watering, it’s essential to wear protective gear, including a respirator, to avoid inhaling harmful bacteria.
- Call a professional restoration company to assess the damage and make necessary repairs.
- Take photos and document the damage for insurance purposes.
By following these steps, you can help minimize the damage caused by a broken pipe and water.
Water Damage due to a broken pipe can be catastrophic to your home or business. But not to fear, if you run into an emergency, Flood 24 Seven is here to help!